Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Word table loses formatting after updating linked Excel spreadshee

You can create a new table style, or modify the table grid table style, with
the header row settings you want, make it the default table style for new
tables in the document, and apply the style to your linked table. After
that, when update link generates a new table, it should have your header row
settings.
Note that for the heading row settings to take effect, the header row
checkbox on the table design tab must be checked.

Pam

cvarner wrote:
I've run into an issue with pasting from Excel 2007 into a Word 2007
document, using the "link" paste paste special option and pasting as RTF. For
the most part it comes in to Word great, but since it spans several pages, I
like to have the top line or lines "repeat as header" lines on each page. No
problem, I can go and modify the table in Word the way I like it.
The problem comes when the Excel spreadsheet changes and I want to update
the link in Word. All the formatting I have made to the table, such as header
lines, keep with next, unchecking the default "allow line to break across
pages", go away when I update the link. This happens whether or not I have
checked the "preserve formatting after update" in the Links configuration
editor.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chris