Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word2010 - Opening a corrupt document

First of all, try repairing as Lisa suggested.

If repairing doesn't help, assuming that the file is in *.docx format, you
can make use of the fact that *.docx files are actually compressed zip
files. Do the following: Display filename extensions in Windows Explorer, if
you haven't already. Then change the filename extension to ZIP. Open the
file in Windows Explorer and look at document.xml. See if you can salvage
the content.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rafael Aguilar" wrote in message
How can I open a word document that is corrupted file?
I tried opening it normally and I get the message "cannot be opened" file
is corrupt.

I do not want to buy a third-party document recovery package.