Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How to automatically format the 1st 4 characters of sentence

I don't use the bulleted/numbered styles either... they're far too fragile
in long documents.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't ever use the "built-in bullets and numbering" if by that you mean
bullets or numbering applied by using the Bullets or Numbering buttons. I
use only bulleted/numbered styles (List Bullet, List Number, etc.),
modified
as necessary.

so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I've just about given up using Word's built-in bullets and numbering for

all
but the simplest needs. The feature is simply too fragile, and it has not
matured over time.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
After reading Graham's comment that "text bullets" don't work in Word
2007,
I can begin to see the reason for your elaborate workaround of "clever

use
of white coloring for the number font and changing the indents." In
earlier
versions, you can make a "numbered" list with no numbering, just the

text.
use this for Q&A (see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Only in numbered and bulleted lists. Don't know which version of Word
you're
using, but in the AutoCorrect options dialog box, click the AutoFormat

as
You Type tab, and under the Automatically as you type options, note
the
"Format beginning of list item like the one before it" option. This

does
what you want, but only in numbered/bulleted lists.

By clever use of white coloring for the number font and changing the
indents, you can make a list look like normal text. But, there are no
"stability" guarantees.

But, personally, I find using Word's list formatting to be rather
fragile,
and not worth the effort.

What I do for Notes... is use an AutoText shortcut. I preformat my

note,
including the word Note in bold and any punctuation that follows the
word,
with a space (not bold) following the word Note so that when I type
there,
it's not bold; then format the note as I want it to appear (for my
purposes,
I format using a style that include shading and left/right

indentation).
Then, when I want a note, I type the word note and press F3. This can
also
be done using an AutoCorrect entry, but if you go that route, I'd use

an
abbreviation as the name rather than an actual word that gets used in
other
contexts.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Michael_Randall" wrote in
message ...
Hello,

I have a document that I created using all styles and formatting. I
would
like to create a "note" style that will automatically bold the word
Note
at
the beginning of the sentence when I apply the style to it.
Additionally,
it
would be great to be able to type a sentence and when I apply the

note
style,
the word "NOTE" appears in front of the sentence.

Is this possible?
--
Michael Randall
Technical Writer