Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jenkusi jenkusi is offline

Default Nested Merge field saves as merged with first record in excel

I am trying to merge a Word document with an excel file where the excel file
has numbers 1,2,3 which I want changed to words when merged with the Word
Document. I am able to make the merge work but the merge fields always saves
as merged with the first record in the excel file even if I do not complete
the merge. How do I get Word to save with the merge fields remaining as
merge fields and not taking on the values of the first record in excel. The
merge field that I am using is the following:
{IF {MERGEFIELD "Demonstrates"}="3" "Exceeding Expectations" {IF {MERGEFIELD
"Demonstrates"}="2" "Meeting Expectations" {IF {MERGEFIELD
"Demonstrates"}="1" "Not Meeting Expectations" {MERGEFIELD "Demonstrates"}}}}