macropod

Hi tj,

Word doesn't have anything equivalent to a SUMIF function, though you could
build up an approximation for testing numeric values via something like:
{=IF(B14,C1,0)+IF(B24,C2,0)+IF(B34,C3,0)+IF(B4 4,C4,0)}

However, I note that you're possibly trying to test whether the data in
Column B is a letter (or alhpa-numeric string). The standard column & row
cell referencing does not work with text strings, including dates and other
mixed alpha-numeric character strings. To refer to a character string in a
cell, the character strings (not the cells) must be individually bookmarked
and the bookmarks referred to in the formula. For what you're trying to do,
this might be a lot of work - a macro (or a link to an Excel workbook with
the SUMIF implementation) would be far better.

Cheers

"tj3993" wrote in message
Merci. I understand what you wrote, but I'm not sure how to apply it to

what
I am doing.

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have rows of items that are categorized (for argument, let's call them
"A", "B", and "C"). I want to create totals by category. In Excel, to

sum
all records in Category "A" I would type:

=SUMIF(B1:B100, "A", C1:C100),

where B1:B100 contains the category for each record and C1:C100 contains

the
value for each record.

Is this possible to do?

---