Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] coomar@gmail.com is offline

Default Unable to obtain list of tables from the data source

Here's a resolution which has worked for me. I HOPE it helps in your
particular case.

Two steps:

1) Go to Tools / Email Accounts
a. Select "View or change existing directories or address
books", then Next.
b. There SHOULD be an "Outlook Address Book" type MAPI
directory there--but it's most likely missing.
If it's missing, click Add / Additional Address
Books / Outlook Address Book
c. Close and re-open Outlook.

2) In Outlook, right-click on the main Contact folder and go to the
"Outlook Address Book" tab. It's likely the checkbox is de-selected.
Select the checkbox, click Apply, and OK. *Do this for EACH Contact
sub-folder is they exist.

That's it. This has consistently resolved the "Unable to obtain list
of tables from the data source" error.