Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ve744 ve744 is offline

Default How do I stop double spacing after hitting the return key?

I have read and done what has been suggested but I too keep getting double
spacing when writing an email. In Word I go to Format/Paragraph/Indent and
Spacings: in the "spacings" section there are 0's and "single". However, I
find no "Default" at the bottom of that page. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

"Howardstown08" wrote:

Yes, I have made the adjustments to 0 spacing but I am unable to tick the box
"Don't add a space between paragraphs of the same style" It comes up faded
not allowing me to tick. When I have made the adjustment, it will work for
one email only, then I am back to going back into Format and re-doing the
instruction. Why will it not stay/remain applied and continue to revert back
to it's original format. I have read the many communicaitons and hope perhaps
there is another solution for me to try.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is there a question here? Did you read my reply?

"Howardstown08" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This option is available only for styles, not individual paragraphs. If
you
want to remove spacing from a specific paragraph, just set the Space
After
to zero. If the Space After is zero, there will be no space between
paragraphs to suppress.

"Dennis Cooke" wrote in message

"Beth Melton" wrote:

After you modify the settings in the Paragraph dialog box click the
button at the bottom and confirm you want to change your Normal
template.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"assisi61" wrote in message
I have to do this over and over and over, because I NEVER use the
default
spacing for lines or paragraphs; even when I click default after
setting
as
you said, it never remains default, I have to change the spacing
each
and
every time to avoid the double-spacing and between paragraphs. Is
this
failure of the software or is there something else I can do to make
my
settings permanent until I change them? (It happens as well with a
simple
3-line address macro: sometimes it double-spaces, sometimes not.
?

"pameluh" wrote:

Select all (Ctrl+A)

Format | Paragraph | Indents and Spacing tab

Set the spacing before and after to 0"

Check the box that says "Don't add a space between paragraphs of
the
same
style"

Cheers!

Pamela

"aubiepride" wrote:

The problem occurs when I hit return key. Apparently, this is a
formatting
problem. Within the paragraph, I have double spacing. But when
finish a
paragraph and hit the return key to start a new one, the program
automatically double spaces it, which is not what I want. I want
my
paragraphs to be single spaced from each other within the
document.
How do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Please email your response to or at
. I appreciate it.

When I go to format paragraph option the option "Don't add space
between
paragraphs of the same style" is grayed out, How do I make it active?