schenkeri28 schenkeri28 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen inserts a nonbreaking hyphen, not an en-dash. AFAIK, there
is no nonbreaking en dash, but you can fake it by using the minus sign
(U2212), which is virtually identical and also nonbreaking.
Thanks, Suzanne. It's better than nothing, but the minus sign can be at a different vertical position (too high) and has extra whitespace at the edges. It really wasn't going to work for me.

However, I have a new workaround (I'm using Word 2010). I created a new "equation" object, put the relevant text in there, changed the type to "normal text" and changed the font back to the one I required. It seems to have fixed the problem! Although MSFT should simply add the nonbreaking dashes; it's an ugly hack.