Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default recovered text contains boxes as spaces

Maybe "Show Non-Printing Characters" is enabled? Press Ctrl-Shift-8 and see
if they go away.

Place the cursor after one and press Alt-X. It will reveal its Unicode code,
and you'll know if there's really a space there, or something else.

Have you tried printing a page of one of the documents to see what happens?

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-4, Ferromonte wrote:
I'm recovering old files saved in Word 1.x-5.x. The text has
rectangular boxes in between words, instead of spaces. I have tried
copy and replace to no avail. What can I do?