WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I add a non-breaking en dash?

Yes, you can add a non-breaking en dash in Microsoft Word to avoid breaking the line at the en dash. Here's how:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the en dash.
  2. Go to the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" group.
  4. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" from the "Font" drop-down menu.
  6. Scroll down until you find the en dash symbol (€“) and select it.
  7. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the en dash into your document.

To make the en dash non-breaking, follow these steps:
  1. Highlight the en dash you just inserted.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Font" group to open the "Font" dialog box.
  4. Check the box next to "Nonbreaking Space" under the "Character Spacing" section.
  5. Click on "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now your en dash should be non-breaking, meaning it will stay on the same line as the text before and after it.