I guess you're referring to Microsoft Office Picture Manager? Yes, you can
use it to compress graphics, but you still have to go outside Word to do it,
so it won't help the OP.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
My experience is that is doesn't. Sort of proof of the pudding is how

would
the Restore option (in Format Picture dialog) work if Word isn't actually
saving the original data?

However, if you want to 'blast' them all in one go, I believe that Picture
Editor (part of the Office Suite) will let you crop, size or compress en
masse. I've not used it myself, but maybe Suzanne (who I know uses it) may
pop in here with some guidance.

If you need to get all the pictures out of your document, use SaveAs to

make
an HTML copy of the document. When you do this, all pictures are saved to

different file.

Terry

"jrsyangl" wrote in message
: Thanks for the suggestion. Irfanview looks interesting. I've downloaded

it
: and will give it a try. However, I already have other options for

reducing
: the file size of individual pictures. Moreover, reducing the size of my
: document would entail making duplicate low resolution copies of all my
: pictures and then replacing each of the orginal pictures in the document
with
: the low resolution version. I was hoping the compress feature of Word
would
: eliminate the need to do that. Are you saying that the compress just
doesn't
: work at all?
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: Agreed: compression (and resizing) isn't really doing what it says on
the
: box. Solution, download a free graphics utility called IrfanView. This
is a
: brilliant utility for simple editing of practically all know graphics
: formats: such as resizing, changing colour depth and dpi. Simply open

or
: copy your graphic into IrfanView, resize it, reduce dpi to 72dpi (if

the
: graphics is only going to be displayed) or around 144dpi for a graphic
that
: is going to be printed. Save it as a jpeg - or for really miniscule
graphics
: choose png - save to your local HDD and then insert them back into

your
: document. Inserting your graphic is better then pasting.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "jrsyangl" wrote in message
: news : :I am trying to reduce the size of a Word document(Windows XP Pro,
Office XP
: : Pro, Word 2002,SP3) which includes inserted pictures. However after
going
: : through the process of compressing the pictures (Format
: : PicturePictureCompress...), the size of the document does not

change
at
: : all, as if nothing happened. Any help would be appreciated.
:
:
: