Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon

Default Can't SAVE files to Folders from EXCEL (and WORD)

Sorry but still confused.

It took me ages to find out where the problem lay and I'm a pretty
determined kind of guy. I am also fairly tech savvy (if not an actual
techy). So to assume all 12 million updates were successful, or even most of
them were, is putting a rather positive spin on it.

More importantly, what is this outdated software you refer to? I use the
most up to date operating system (XP) and the most up to date software
(Office 2003), all of them kept updated by MS themselves. So apart from MS
products, what could have been the problem?

SImon

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Over 120 million successful installations of the update. Less than 1000
calls about problems.
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

That update patched a very real security hole in Windows. If they try it
against every scrap of outdated software that is out there and all
combinations, they might release it by the next millenium.

Chances are that the third-party software was not written to WindowsXP specs
but still managed to run.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Simon" wrote in message
news
Charles

You probably know moe aboutthis than me but I'm confused.

Microsoft send out a security patch. Microsoft Word and Excel get screwed
up. How is third party software to blame? And even if it is, does an
organisation the size of Microsoft not foresee such glitches? I'm also
told
this kind of thing has happened before...

Simon

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Nope, this time Microsoft is not the culprit, but possibly the hero. The
problem arose because of third party software (possibly not written to
Windows specs) that tripped up a necessary security patch.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Simon" wrote in message
Fantastic advice! I had been racking my brains and Googling all over
the
place to find out what had gone wrong. Though it might even be virus
related. But it seems Microsoft are themselves the culprits. What a
bunch
of nerks! They should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks again.

"Carol" wrote:

Hi David:

You can remove the offending update from Add/Remove Programs, where it
shows
as "Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)". Make sure the "show
updates"
box at the top is ticked or you won't see hotfixes in the list.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save
as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to
crash
it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the
latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.