Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Default my global Normal.dot template is corrupted. How do I fix it?

Not easily!

I suggest that you create a new template and add all the new styles that you
want. Do not base any of these styles on normal.dot. You can base them on no
style or what I normally do is create a 'basic style' which is based on no
style for a template and then base all the new style formats on the basic
style (except Outline Headings or number Styles which are based on the
previous levels).

Then you need to insert each manual into a document based on your new
template. You can try AutoFormat which theoretically will go through and
replace all the formatting with your newly formatted styles (but I find this
is not too reliable); what you may have to do is to remove all formatting by
SelectAll and then use Ctrl+Spacebar and Ctrl+Q to remove all formatting.
Then go through and apply all the correct styles.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"JudyDeak" wrote in message
:I have a new job and it is to tailor all user manuals to the same format.
: Each manual has different style tags for headings, paragraphs, lists, ect.
: How can I remove (delete) the old style tags and apply only the new styes
: that will be common to all documentation?
:
: