Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jose Valdes Jose Valdes is offline

Default Three almost identical manuals

I am writing three manuals that are almost identical. However, each manual
has some unique content. As a former user of Adobe FrameMaker, my rash
impulse was to use VBA to recreate the Condition Text feature in MS Word.
Here's how it works:

Info unique to manual A appears in these markup tags: ManualAContentOpen and
ManualAContentClose. Manuals B and C have similar tags. If I want to print
manual A, VBA scripts format B and C content as hidden text (Format menu |
Font | Hidden checkbox). Content for A is not hidden, but VBA scripts hide
markup tags.

I have already starting this work and feel competent enough to complete it.
I fear, however, that I might be giving into my dark impulses to play with
VBA instead of writing. ;-) I was hired to be a writer of course.

Does feature exist already somewhere? Am I on the right track?