Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default automatically inserting text in a merge field blank field.

Hi ?B?RHJUb21pblJJ?=,

I am using an access DB to create a merged word Document, sending letters to
other colleagues. I have it set up fine if I know the recipeints last name
and company, but if the name field is blank I would like it to automatically
insert another word. e.g if it is to Mr smith, at Mountainview Business Ctr
it should say "Dear Mr Smith". But if it is to some one unknown at Bayview
Business Ctr it should say "Dear Colleague"

I have the Insert before or after if not blank thing down, but the preformed
wizard that comes up with the genereic greeting line is not what I want

Is this alternate form of address something you have stored in a look-up table,
and can bring into the data source via a query? If yes, then you can set up an
IF field in the mail merge that looks something like

Dear { IF { Mergefield Name } = "" "{ Mergefield AltAddress }" "{ Mergefield
Name }" }

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org