~D~

Thanks TF..unfortunately someone else created the document (don't they
always) and I "assumed" they created it correctly..but should never assume
especially with documents.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
If the numbering is part of the paragraph style, then yes, applying

heading
style to the paragraph will remove the number and use the heading

numbering.
However, if you have simply applied numbering (using that dreaded button

on
the toolbar), it won't because it is Direct formatting.

A tip: never use the toolbar buttons for either numbering or bullets.

Always
create a style for bullets or numbering.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"~D~" wrote in message
: ...and it gives me the Heading 1 style format but includes the number as
: well. I thought that when you label something Heading 1 it will

overwrite
: the text. I went into
: Format/Style and chose None for Numbering and it did
: not help.
:
: Please help.
: