Jezebel

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Thanks for your re-assurance, Jezebel, but I still don't know how to do
it.
If I just modify the existing styles as you suggest, I still don't know
how
to make the annoying numbers go away. I tried and tried earlier, and all
could do was delete'em on each heading after the fact. What I want to do
is
apply a heading and presto, no numbers. (I also need to know how to get
them
back later if I change my mind.)

Bring up the style definition dialog. Select Bullets and Numbering and
select None. If you change your mind later go back and select something
other than none.

Also, isn't there a way (I believe someone showed me this earlier) to
start
from an 'unofficial' heading which I just typed in with a certain font,
etc.,
and specify (a) that it should officially recognized as a type of heading,
and be placed in the list of heading styles, and (b) what its outline
level
should be? The thing is, I already have a lot of those 'unofficial'
headings.
For this document, Word decided for itself that my unofficial headings
were
official headings - at least it put them into the document map although I
didn't notice a new name in the list of styles (perhaps I just missed it).
Apparently Word put them all at level 1 since they appear on the same
level
in the document map as level 1 headings that I copy in from another
document.
But I can't seem to just select them and assign them to level 2.

Bring up the style definiton dialog. Select Paragraph. Set the Outline
level. You can't change the level for a built-in heading, but you can for
any style you've created yourself. If your built-in styles already have a
non-zero outline level, chances are you created them by modifying an
existing style, in which case you will have inherited the level of the
original.

Word doesn't decide anything for itself. It just does what you tell it.
Sometimes rather murkily anbd obliquely, it is true. But there is no magic
involved. It's up to you to take charge.