TF

That's the option I meant. It makes no difference to this weird behaviour
whether it is on or off. I'm still testing this out at the moment to see if
I can make any sense of what is happening (and I'll compare it to what
happens on my work machine).

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: We're talking about different things. I was referring to the "Draw
underline
: on trailing spaces" Compatibility Option, which causes underline to work
for
: ordinary spaces (without a nonbreaking space). AFAIK, the
nonbreaking-space
: technique works in all versions without need for the Compatibility Option
: (which IMO would be a nuisance since Word selects the space after a word
: when you double-click it, so you'd be likely to get underlined spaces
where
: you didn't want them.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Suzanne
:
: Interestingly, this never used to work in the English (UK) version of
Word
: either. But now its behaviour is really bizarre. If you say enter a word
: with several spaces and a non-breaking space, SelectAll by
double-clicking
: on the word, and apply underline using Ctrl+U, it only underlines the
: word.
: If you select the word and trailing spaces by dragging the mouse through
: the
: selecting, Ctrl+U does underline all. Totally crazy behaviour.
:
: Terry Farrell
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: : Interestingly, the relevant KB article says of this option, "Not used
in
: : U.S. English Word," but it does demonstrably work.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Andy" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Or ToolsOptionsCompatibility, check the box "Draw underline on
: : trailing spaces". This is for Word 2002 but I imagine 2003 has this
: : option also.
: :
: :
: :