Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default how do i setup Word to use TDK CD labels?

Unless of course you are heavy handed, as the data is stored very close to
the 'label' side of the disc and is easily damaged.

Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:
All of my research and experience indicates there should be no
problem using the Sharpie anywhere on the top.

Tom
"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Thanks, Terry. I wasn't aware that even a Sharpie could cause a
problem (fortunately it hasn't done in any disks I've tried after a
couple of years of storage).

Terry Farrell wrote:
Jay

For archiving, it is recommended that the CD or DVD is left
unlabelled with only the case being marked. If an archive disk must
be labeled, then using a proper CD Marker to ONLY write on the tiny
transparent area around the centre hole (where there is no media at
the back).
Terry

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Also, the adhesive can cause the data storage life of writable CDs
to be shortened considerably, presumably by degrading the dyes that
hold the information as dark and light spots
(http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-7-2).

If all of this makes you leery of labels (and it should!), either
use a pen meant for marking on plastic, such as a Sharpie, or look
into LightScribe technology
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe). --
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Graham Mayor wrote:
Word is a thoroughly useless application for creating CD labels.
It will take forever to get the page to line up with the labels
and even then the finished reults will be poor. Better to use
Publisher, and much better to use Surething CD Labeller which does
the job properly - however bear in mind that aside from audio CDs
designed to play in a stand-alone player, using adhesive paper
labels on CDs is a very bad idea. They can set up sufficient out
of balance forces to destroy the player. Note that players will
rotate at up to 52x normal CD speed. If you have a few moments,
calculate the rotation speed that this produces. I think you may
be shocked!

Jay Freedman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:44:34 -0700, Adam
wrote:

Are there templates built in?

No, there aren't. If you can match the size and location of the
labels to ones from Avery (such as 8691 and 8692), Compulabel, or
any of the other brands listed in the Options dialog of the Label
wizard, use that. Otherwise, click the New Label button at the
bottom of that Options dialog and enter the measurements to
create a custom label definition.