Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krazykat krazykat is offline

Default Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan

Tony,

Thanks for the tip. I did check the (Start Run enter, "services.msc".

There was one "service" running for Norton AV CORPORATE EDITION". I have
all ready verified that the CORPORATE EDITION does not have the "office plug
in" and does not interact with WORD.

But, as a check, I disabled the service for Norton AV CORPORATE EDITION and
started WORD. Same results ----- "Running Virus Scan". Restarted the
Norton AV CORPORATE EDITION, same results ---- "Running ...."

There were no other "SERVICES" running that I could identify as belonging to
any Anti Virus programs.

May be someone can suggest othe things to try. ANY ONE?

Does WORD produce a "start up log" file that logs the detail steps and
sequence of events at WORD start?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Clearly you have some sort of AV program running scan on demand. If not
Norton or Grisoft it must be some other.

I am not very knowledgeable about this so someone may correct me, but I
don't think that there is any need for an office-specific addin to enable
this so if Norton is on your machine it may well scan all files in all
applications; there is probably an option (in the AV program) to switch the
scan off. It should be possible to check what you have somehow in Windows
but I don't know how - you could try looking at the running services to see
if there is anything identifiable as scan on demand (Start Run enter
"services.msc" without the quotes and hit enter to get the list).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"krazykat" wrote in message
Cindy,

Thanks for the reply. I removed each file 1 by 1. I received the "Running
Virus Scan" at start up at each removal; i.e. with 4, then 3, then 2, etc.
With none, there was no "Runnibg Virus Scan" and WORD opens in a flash. I
added 1 back in and received the "Running Virus Scan". In fact, it does

not
matter which of the 5 is added, any one of the 5 produce the "Running

......".
Any conclusions?

Thanks

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?a3JhenlrYXQ=?=,

What is the connection between the "/a" switch and/ or having an empty
Global Templates window and removal of the "Running Virus Scan"

message at
WORD start??

The /a switch prevents all Addins from loading. This includes global
templates, your Normal.dot and any COM Addins you may have installed.

I can achieve the same affect by removing the 5 global template files

from
the Global Templates and addin window (Tools, Templates and ADD-IN,

Global
templates and Add-in window). None of the 5 files in the Global

templates
and Add-in window appear to be associated with any AV program, but

they do
reside in Windows\startup and OFFICE11\START up sub folders.

Do you know what each of these global templates if for? Try removing

them
all, the move them back in, one at a time. When the message comes back,
you'll know which one is responsible.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org