Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Data Trucated in word merge with excel source

Which version of Word/Excel?

One thing you can try if you don't have more than 63 columns is to select
the entire spreadsheet, copy/paste it into Word, then use that as the data
source.

Another thing you can try is as follows although unfortunately it may make
no difference...

Some Windows Registry entries could be making your machine work differently
from the others you have tried. I would be surprised, because I don't think
there are many reasons to change these values, and if they have been
changed, it suggests that some software on your machine needs a specific set
of values. Anyway, editing the registry is a "dangerous" activity that can
harm your machine, so you do this at your own risk:
a. start regedit.exe (typically in your Windows folder, e.g. c:\Windows
b. find the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engi nes\Excel

c. Export the existing values into a .reg file in case you need to restore
them
d. Look at the TypeGuessRows value, which specifies how many Excel rows Jet
will look at
to try to determine the type of data. The default is 25. If you set it to 0,
Jet should scan all the rows and Word's behaviour may change. But you
cannot do this on a file-by-file basis.
e. More important, look at the ImportMixedTypes value - this can either be
"Text" or "Majority
Type". By defualt, I think it is "Majority Type".If it is set to "Text",
try changing it to "Majority Type". One effect of "Text" is that if it is
not overridden, the ODBC/OLEDB driver/provider will truncate texts to 255
characters.

If you can't find this key, it may be that you are using an older version of
Office that uses Jet 3.5, in which case have a look for the equivalent key,
or it could (just possibly) be that your machine has Jet 4 but that for some
reason the registry antries have not been set up correctly, in which case
you could consider creating these keys and values from scratch.

Peter Jamieson

"BAW" wrote in message
I have a word merge that pull data from an excel source into a table. One
of
the cells in excel has data over 255 characters long. All of the data
does
show up within excel, but when I perform the merge, the data is trucated
at
255 characters within the word table. I have previously performed the
same
merge with the same data (on another computer) and all of the data (over
255
characters) was transferred into the merge. Is there ANYTHING I can do to
ensure that all the data is transferred? I have previously posted a
similar
message, but at the time, thought the data was under 255 characters. The
suggestion was to try using DDE- which didn't work, but when I got it to
work
on another co-workers computer, I didn't pursue it further. Now as I am
trying to re run the querry, it won't work on any of the computers in the
office, so I am back to square one. By the way, the data is truncated in
the
"select recipients" window... Thanks, in advance, for your help!