Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Default IncludeText Problem

Tom,

I take it from your response the INCLUDETEXT document doesn't have yet more mergefields.

Also, this is the first mention you've made of users having the source document open. That changes everything. It's hardly
surprising Word gives you a prompt in such cases, since it's impossible for Word to know what the correct response is. Adding the \!
switch thus:
{INCLUDETEXT "{ MERGEFIELD DocumentPath }Agreement.doc" \!}
(not the \1 switch you mentioned earlier) *might* overcome the issue you're having with this, but you really should consider the
wisdom of executing the mailmerge when the INCLUDETEXT document is open - and possibly being edited. Imagine, for a moment, what
would happen if the user updates & saves the document while your mailmerge is running.

Is there anything else you haven't told me that might be relevant?

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
micropod,

I do have INCLUDETEXT statements with MERGEFIELDs to specify the document path, for example:

{INCLUDETEXT "{ MERGEFIELD DocumentPath }Agreement.doc" } where DocumentPath is something like:
\\ServerName\ShareName\DirectoryName\.

I have been sending mail merge documents containing these types of fields for over 2 years by both eMail and fax. One of my main
documents attaches 10 other documents all with mail merge fields. These documents are sent by an automated process running on a
server.

The only problems I've encountered are when Word pops a message box expecting a button to be clicked which mainly happens when a
user has one of the included documents open.

Tom

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Hi Tom,

Do you mean to say you've got a mailmerge document with MERGEFIELDs embedded in INCLUDETEXT fields like:
'{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc"}'
where the DocPath is something like
'../Server/MainPath/LocalPath/'
and the document thus imported contains yet more mergefields?

I don't believe that will work.What I think you'll need to do is to go into the source document that is imported via your
INCLUDETEXT field and bookmark the material either side of its MERGEFIELDs (multiple bookmarks will be needed), then code your
mailmerge document like:
'{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc" BkMrk1}' and '{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc" BkMrk2}'
where BkMrk1 and BkMrk2 are your bookmark names, then insert the MERGEFIELD you presently have in your INCLUDETEXT source
document between the new pair of MERGEFIELDs in your mailmerge document.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
macropod,

The INCLUDETEXT actually has the UNC path to the file rather than just a file name and in some cases it does contain a
MERGEFIELD that defines the path. However, the test I ran with the \l switch was the simplest of cases, where the document's
path was completely specified, and it didn't update any of the MERGEFIELDs in the inluded document.

Tom

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Hi Tom,,

Where's the MERGEFIELD? If it's not used to tell the INCLUDETEXT field which document to import, then the solution should be as
simple as { INCLUDETEXT "Agreement.doc" \!}

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
macropod,

Here's an example of a merge field to include a document:

{ INCLUDETEXT "Agreement.doc" }

Tom

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Hi Tom,

Can you post your field coding? You'll need to copy the text out of the fields and type the braces into your newsreader.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
macropod,

I tried putting the \! switch in one of the INCLUDETEXT fields and I still got the prompt to open a read-only copy and I
also had an "Error! Bookmark not defined" error for every merge field in the included document.

At this point, I don't guess there's anything to do to prevent the 'read-only' prompt.

Thanks,
Tom

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Hi Tom,

Provided you put in switch in the INCLUDETEXT field and not the MERGEIELD, I would expect so.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
macropod,

The documents I am including have MERGEFIELDs in them also. Will the MERGEFIELDs be updated in I use the switch?

Thanks,
Tom

"macropod" wrote in message ...
hi Tom,

You could try adding the \! switch. This prevents the INCLUDETEXT field updating cross-references imported from the
source document, which may be all you need.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to
open a message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the
attachments would be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom