Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2003/Vista crashes spontaneously

Re-installing rarely achieves anything useful as the core program is rarely
the issue. It is almost invariably user settings in files and the registry
that screw things up.
You could start by renaming the normal template, temporarily removing any
add-ins, re-install the printer driver, but you may have to delete or rename
the data key in the registry to fix it. If you don't feel confident about
manually deleting the data key then copy and paste the following three lines
to Notepad (the second line is empty) and save as datadelete.reg. Then, with
Word and Outlook closed, from Windows Explorer right click that file and
select 'merge' .

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data]

If while testing the program crashes then start again with
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

"Gordon Filby" wrote in message
On 20.05.2010 07:04, Graham Mayor wrote:
Can you narrow the problem to a particular issue that causes the crash?
If
not see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Hello,

No, sometimes it is when I'm in the middle of a document, Other times not.

Just now I started word from its directory, it starts in page layout with
50% page size. It is stable, at least for ca 10 mins. When I then close
down using the close icon (top right corner, white cross) it crashes and
the whole rigmarole starts again ("word is not functioning properly....it
may take a few mins.....Word is collecting ......Word is restarting")

** I'm using the German language version so the translations may not be
identical to yours.

I don't feel proficient enough to start tinkering with the registry. Do
you think simply de/reinstalling might work? I have already done this but
I have reason to believe it didn't work out as much more of my
data/settings apparently remained intact than I'd imagined after this
process.

Grateful for any assistance

Gordon Filby