Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason[_5_] Jason[_5_] is offline

Default Word 2003 - Creating & Using own template

Thanks Jay. I had already placed a shortcut to the template, but it was my
dad saying "You did it before, why can't you do it again"!!

I will leave it as it is and see how he gets on.

Thanks you

Jason

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Jason wrote:
Hi,

A couple of years ago I created a template for my dad and made it so
when word was opened, this template would automatically show (I did
follow instructions from either the Official Microsoft XP mag, or PC
Answers). I know it involved replacing the existing blank document
with my template, but I've forgotten the procedure and can't find the
magazine now.

If anyone could help, it would be most appreciated to know how to do
this.

Thank you

Jason

That's a really bad idea. You can't create a proper Normal.dot template just
by renaming another template; you lose some important functions.

A better idea is just to put a shortcut to your template on the desktop.
Double-clicking it will open Word with a new document based on that
template.

To make that shortcut, locate the template in the file manager, right-click
it, and choose Send To Desktop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman