Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Word 2007 won't open Word 2003 document

The IncludeText field is not new, having been around for many versions of
Word. Using it to insert a document that is protected for forms with a
password applied is an simple way of getting around the password protection
as the protection is ignored when the document is inserted into another
document that way.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Paula" wrote in message
I finally managed to get it opened by opening the original in Word 2003,
unprotecting and then saving as a Word 2007 document (have the converter
loaded). Once I did this, I could open the document in Word 2007, protect
it
and save it as a protected document. No idea why it wouldn't open
directly
in Word 2007.

What is the IncludeText field you mentioned? Is it new to 2007 (or just a
renamed 2003 command)?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Have you tried saving an unprotected version of the document as a .dot
and
then opening that. Or try using and IncludeText field to insert the
document into a Word 2007 document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Paula" wrote in message
We have a Word 2003 document (.doc) that was originally created back in
2000.
The document is a protected table that contains fields for the users to
complete. When I try to open it in Word 2007, I get an error saying
Word
has
encountered a problem and needs to shut down. No document opens; Word
closes. It doesn't matter if I leave the document protected or
unprotect
it.

When I saved this document as a .dot, I was able to open it but then I
can't
edit the original document data - just the fields.

Any idea on what the problem might be and how I can correct it?