Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Formatting cross-references

By design, hyperlinked TOCs and cross-references, although they display the
Hyperlink style, somehow suppress it. I don't know any way around this
except by applying a different character style as you're doing. Moreover, I
believe they shed the style whenever the link is updated.

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi.

I'm creating a long user guide in Word 2007. I'd like to insert
cross-references that automatically format to look like hyperlinks (blue
and underlined) so that end-users know they can click on the link. I tried
inserting Hyperlinks (which are already formatted that way), but they
don't update like normal fields (pressing F9). If there is a way to
automatically update Hyperlinks, let me know and I'd be happy to use those
instead.

I created a character style for cross-references so that I can format them
manually (for some reason the Hyperlink character format didn't work on
cross-references so I created a new character format called
cross-reference, which worked just fine). But I'd much rather have
cross-references format automatically.

Here's an example: After you enter the widget into the doodad, make sure
you complete all doodad fields; see Completing all doodad fields. [Without
formatting, no one will know they can click on "Completing all doodad
fields."]

FYI. When you convert the Word doc to PDF, the cross-reference links are
clickable (as expected) but they're still not formatted to look like a
hyperlink (unless I manually format them in Word first).

Thanks!