Default Figure references are inserting the graphics

I have 100+ frames in a document. Each frame contains a linked image
followed by a caption. This worked fine when I originally inserted the
images into the frames. However, if I change the style of the image to
anything (e.g., Normal, Body) or if I Clear Formatting, the image
"jumps" out of the frame (i.e., all that remains in the frame is my
caption). This happened to all 100+ images when I recently changed the
font used by my main Body style.

I need the images inside the frame so I can position the image and
caption on the page. I tried cutting/pasting the images back into the
frames (all 100) and they looked fine, until I updated the references.
Now the IMAGE also appears in the text when I reference the caption.
For example, rather than displaying "See Figure 8", it displays "See
the entire image is displayed Figure 8"! Yikes!

I've tried all sorts of things, but the graphic image keeps appearing
when I try to reference the caption.

Help!

Thanks!

Steve