Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default If Formula syntax error

Are you inserting all the fields using Ctrl+F9?

"BigPig" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the help! However what I got after toggling was "REF" (minus

the
quotations). Then I tried it without the "REF" and I got "bkmrk2".
Do you have any suggestions?

Thankyou in advance!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnUGln?=,

={IF{bkmrk2}="E7""SFC""None"}
Everytime I try this or a variation of it, I get a syntax error.

Try this. Note the SPACES (sometimes, Word gets finicky in formulas).

Also make
sure you've pressed Ctrl+F9 to create the field brackets { }

{ IF { REF bkmrk2 } = "E7" "SFC" "None" }

Note that = (if you're using this in a field calculation) only works

with
numbers, not text. Since the result of the IF field will be text, you

shouldn't
be using an equals sign or a calculation field, just the IF field.

The form is in a table, and what I want it to do, is autimatically

fill in
other cells in the same table (on different pages) with the same data

(text)
or replace certain text phrases with others.

The specifc action requested for the above formula is this: In a

different
cell of the same table, I want to replace (the grade) "E7" with (the

rank)
"SFC" for the purposes of creating a signature block.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply