Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Word will not update Table of Contents

Copying the contents to a new document is probably worth trying.

Delete any section breaks, then press Ctrl+A to select the whole
document, press Shift+Left Arrow to deselect the final paragraph
marks, copy and paste into a new document. For more, see the relevant
section of the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

For instructions on preserving the tracked changes when copying, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...s.html#Copying.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"news" wrote in message news
In message , Suzanne S.

Barnhill
writes
The duplication of Heading 1 almost certainly results from a manual

page
break before the heading. Delete it and format the heading as "Page

break
before."

No, there was no page break, and all Heading 1 lines are formatted

as
"Page Break Before".

For the rest, do your headings actually use Heading 1 and Heading 2
(built-in styles)?

Yes.

If they use other styles, have you selected these in the
TOC Options?

N/A

Are any of the headings in text boxes?

No.

However, I have now persuaded Word to update the ToC. To do this, I
switched from Print Layout View to Normal View. But instead of

updating
the ToC almost instantaneously, everything froze with the hourglass
showing for over 6 *minutes* before the new ToC appeared!

As I explained originally, this problem only arose after I copied

some
pages from another document. In that other document, ToC update

works
fine.

Weird!

I am now tempted to create a new document and paste the old document
into it, to see if the problem goes away. However, if I do this, how

do
I include the tracked changes in the new document? Readers will need

see the changes.

--
Ian