Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Default word 2010 beta problems

....so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

There could be something to that crow conspiracy or maybe you just don't
understand the workings of the clutch.

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I just tried it again, and got a very different sign-up screen (with a
Secret Question and a type-the-characters box), and this time it
actually said that " is a "restricted domain" and I would
have to use a different email address.

Well, I don't have a different email address, so if they don't want me
to try out Office2010, it's their loss. I doubt many of their beta
users will be trying to type a character table and a sample text in
hPags Pa.

On Nov 27, 9:22 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
The password doesn't seem to be the problem, so perhaps the problem
is with
your email address. If you don't already have an email account with
Hotmail
or MSN, you can't use those, but you should be able to use any other
email
address (I'm still using my mvps.org address).

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
Is that the same as "Create a new Windows Live ID," which goes to
"Create Your Account," and is that something different and less
malicious than Office Live?

***
Well, it's moot, because after I filled in the form (with a password
containing only capital and small letters), it responded:

---
We are sorry, but we are unable to complete your request.
The following problem(s) exist:

•An error was encountered when we attempted to create your Windows
Live account.

Please ensure that you are not using any invalid characters in your
password (double-byte characters, spaces). Also, the following
domains
to create a new Windows Live ID (these are reserved domains that
cannot be created through this process).

hotmail.com
msn.com
live.com
passport.com
---

On Nov 26, 9:33 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Whenever I log in on a "sign in" Live ID page, there's a panel to
the left that says, "To get started, sign up for a Windows LiveT
ID" and a button labeled "Sign up now."

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
Can't tell, since there was no evident way to sign up!

On Nov 26, 3:24 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Does it really require signing up for Office Live or just for a
Live ID (the
latest version of Passport)?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
The first one would be, How do I get it? I went to Yves's link, saw
that I wouldn't expect to use any of the 10 "improvements" anyway
(though the one that recovers unsaved documents might be handy),
but if it can handle newly added Unicode ranges, then I need it,
clicked the Download button, and it took me to a page asking me to
"Sign in." Signing in didn't work, so it suggested that maybe I
need to sign _up_ first. But (a) that apparently means signing up
for "Office Live," which I see from threads here can be quite
problematic, and (b) there wasn't any hint of how to sign up.

On Nov 26, 12:28 pm, Jay Freedman wrote:

Ah, so it is... I foresee a lot of unanswerable questions in this
newsgroup, then.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:09:05 +0100, "Yves Dhondt"

wrote:
Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt
there
are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves