Chuck Davis

-----Original Message-----
I am an indexer (which means that I write indexes that are

printed in the
backs of books). Since space for printing is limited, the

book's editor
needs to know how many lines of type are contained in an

index. Typically,
the editor may specify that the copy be set to a

40-character line. This
means that any word that would cause the width of a line

to exceed 40
characters must be carried onto a following line.

To lay out this copy, I print it in a nonproportional type

- a so-called
typewriter font. In this kind of font, 'W' and 'i' occupy

the same width.I
give the file to the typesetter, who converts it and sets

it ino type.

My problem is that I only have found two standard fonts:

Courier New, and
Lucida Console. The first is too weak and boring, and the

typeface is light;
and the second is rather ugly and doesn't have all the

needed characters.

Are there other fonts that I could examine and obtain? And

is there a
document that lists all the usual Word fonts, categorized

by various
attributes: proportional vs. nonproportional; serif

vs.sans serif;
traditional vs. modern vs. eccentric, etc? That would be a

very useful
document.

--
Peter Rooney