Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lyam lyam is offline

Default How do I align chapter numbers with the period, not the left m

(The examples in my first post did not render well)

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I had already tried those solutions
without success. In fact, I've been trying to solve this problem for years. I
can set the Heading 1 style so that the chapter number is right-aligned to
the left of the chapter title, but this has no effect on how it is rendered
in the toc. Because the TOC1 style is not a numbered style (the number is
just picked up from the chapter number in Heading 1), there is no way to
change the chapter number's position using Bullets and Numbering.

The only way I am able to right-align the chapter numbers in the toc is to
select the first nine TOC1 lines and then drag the First-Line Indent slider
in the ruler so that the chapter number in the selected lines align with the
chapter numbers in the remaining TOC1 lines.

That said, I just found this at the link you provided--
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...tm#ModifyStyle. Using this
example, I would have to use an unnumbered style for Heading 1 and a numbered
style for TOC1, plus create a new style for a chapter heading, which would be
numbered instead of Heading 1. This is not a perfect solution (I don't really
want separate chapter headings), but it is not bad!

Regards,
lyam

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Customize Outline Numbered List or Customize Numbered List
dialog box, set the "Number position" to "Right." For more, see the
"Aligning on punctuation" section of the article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm and/or
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lyam" wrote in message
In the toc, the chapter numbers are aligned with the left margin,
but I would
like them to be aligned with the period.

I want this:
1.
2.
: