Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How do I align chapter numbers with the period, not the left m

"Keep with previous" has been repeatedly requested, with use cases, but so
far has not impressed the developers as a needed feature.

"lyam" wrote in message
I agree. It would also be nice if Word would add a "Keep with Previous"
function along with their "Keep with Next" function, but I suspect this is

subject for a different forum... :-)

Thanks very much for your helpful replies.

Best regards,
lyam

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's frustrating that the TOC picks up the numbering from the headings

but
not the number formatting. If you have the numbers right-aligned in the
headings, the TOC entries should honor that. I've long thought that TOCs
(and indexes) are an area that could use some more work by the Word

team.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lyam" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

I added the \w switch to the TOC field, but it didn't work the way I

wanted
it to. That is, it did preserve the tab character, but for my desired

format,
the tab would have to be on the left of the chapter number, not the

right.
think the solution that you have on your website is the one that works

the
best.

Thanks and best regards,
lyam

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Another thing you might try: adding the \w switch to the TOC field

preserves
tab characters in the entries. If your heading numbers and headings

are
separated by a tab (as I assume they probably are), then this,

combined
with
a hanging indent (with its automatic tab stop) in the relevant TOC

style,
might achieve what you want.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lyam" wrote in message
(The examples in my first post did not render well)

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I had already tried those
solutions
without success. In fact, I've been trying to solve this problem

for
years. I
can set the Heading 1 style so that the chapter number is

right-aligned to
the left of the chapter title, but this has no effect on how it is
rendered
in the toc. Because the TOC1 style is not a numbered style (the

number
is
just picked up from the chapter number in Heading 1), there is no

way
change the chapter number's position using Bullets and Numbering.

The only way I am able to right-align the chapter numbers in the

toc
is to
select the first nine TOC1 lines and then drag the First-Line

Indent
slider
in the ruler so that the chapter number in the selected lines

align
with
the
chapter numbers in the remaining TOC1 lines.

That said, I just found this at the link you provided--
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...tm#ModifyStyle. Using

this
example, I would have to use an unnumbered style for Heading 1 and

numbered
style for TOC1, plus create a new style for a chapter heading,

which
would
be
numbered instead of Heading 1. This is not a perfect solution (I

don't
really
want separate chapter headings), but it is not bad!

Regards,
lyam

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Customize Outline Numbered List or Customize Numbered

List
dialog box, set the "Number position" to "Right." For more, see

the
"Aligning on punctuation" section of the article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm and/or
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lyam" wrote in message
In the toc, the chapter numbers are aligned with the left

margin,
but I would
like them to be aligned with the period.

I want this:
1.
2.
: