Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Default Cross-references and Outline View in Word 2003

Suzanne,

Considering the number of boneheaded mistakes that I have made on this
newsgroup, you are quite right to assume that I cannot follow the thread of
a simple conversation. ;-) In this isolated case, I am innocent. Please look
at the attached PNG file and you will see a screen capture of my Outlook
Express 6 window. You will see that no message is displayed for November
16th by Lene Fredborg. I have searched on her name and other key words such
as "outline" to no avail. The message is not there. I am sorry that you
cannot reproduce my problem with your install of OE6.

Anyway, Suzanne, thank you for pointing out my other, numerous, egregious
errors.

Thanks!
José

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I'm not sure why you didn't see it, either; I'm using OE6 and did see it,
but sometimes the way messages are threaded makes answers to the original
post less obvious if a long thread has developed above them. Also note
that
Lene is female.

so
all may benefit.

"Jose Valdes" wrote in
message
My apologies to Lene Fredborg who correctly answered my question. I don't
know why, but his message (posted on Nov 16th) is invisible to my
installation of Outlook Express 6. See below for more details. Sorry!
José

"Jose Valdes" wrote in

message
When I use outline view to rearrange the order of headings in my

manuals,
it breaks my cross-references. In the following example, I want to use
outline view to move Heading C above B without breaking a

cross-reference
to B that is under D. Follow me? Sorry, I'm trying to make this easy.

;-)
Please notice the square brackets around Heading B. They represent the
bookmark used by the X-ref under D.

Heading A
Body text for A.

[Heading B]
Body text for B.

Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading D
Hey see "Heading B" for really neat info.

When I move C above B, C takes the opening bookmark with it. Instead of
having a bookmark that points just to Heading B, it points to C, body

text
under C, and Heading B. The cross-reference to this bookmark now show

all
of this information.

Heading A
Body text for A.

[Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading B]
Body text for B.

Heading D
Hey see "Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading B" for really neat info.

Does anyone know how to avoid moving bookmarks when using outline view

move paragraphs around? If not, don't worry about it. Currently, I use

cut
and paste to avoid this problem.