Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 : corrupt files - help needed

Hello Charles

Charles wrote:
Update: I think I am beginning to see a pattern in what's happenned.

- the files became corrupt when I opened them on my machine and only after I
exited Word loaded it again - regardless of which machine created and last
saved the files.
- this also applies to the accident of my colleague, which was 'revealed'
(or so we thought) when I attempted to open it -- I had assumed that it was
corrupt before I tried to open it but now I believe it may have been that by
attempting to open on my machine Word 2007 messed with it. Yes this is
strange because one has to assume that Word somehow writes onto the files
when trying to open them.
- Could that be related to that mysterious (to me) business of "normal.dot"
file or something similar? Could it be when Word reloads on my machine it
reloads a corrupt template which then conflit with .docx files? Makes sense
at all? If so, how to delete the corrupt templates or "normal.dot" thing?

as to the corrupt documents, see the following generic article:

How can I recover a corrupt document or template €“ and why did it become
corrupt? (by Dave Rado and John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

From your description, it does sound like there's something fishy on
your installation. I'd try "detect and repair". You might also want to
open Word in Safe mode and then open one of the recovered (good) files
to see if that does not mess the file up. Then, chances are you have an
Add-In (or malware) running.

Why is my €śBlank Document€ť not blank? (by Suzanne Barnhill)
http://word.mvps.org/fAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

talks about opening in Safe mode.

As to sending me the file, if you can manage it by email (size), the
email I'm using to post here is valid. Or you can put it on a webspace
(yousendit.com etc.) somewhere and post the link here. No guarantees
here really, as I've never really ventured much into the file structure
myself ... :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--