Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pasdetrois pasdetrois is offline

Default Can't figure out why style keeps changing

Tried F4 and style changes to Normal, instead of the custom style I want.

I opened up another doc and tried to apply the desired style, but this time
I just placed the cursor in the paragraph and then applied the style from the
task pane. It works. I had been selecting text within the paragraph, because
I had used a 2nd custom style to bold a few words at the start of the
paragraph, and when I select the text, then apply the style, is when the
funny business starts.

So I'm having to put the cursor in the paragraph, apply the 1st style, then
select a portion of that text and apply bold.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To add to what Herb has said, I would suggest applying the style directly
from the Style box or Styles and Formatting task pane or with a keyboard
shortcut, not by using the Format Painter. If you want to tag a number of
paragraphs quickly, you can apply the style to the first, then click in the
next and press F4 (repeat), repeating till you've done them all.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I wonder if perhaps the Keep Track of Formating setting is part of the
problem/confusion. Tools - Options - Edit tab.

It sounds like in one of your locations, Word is showing the direct
formatting information, which can be confusing. To restore all formatting

in
a paragraph to the formatting provided only by the style definition,

select
the paragraph and press Ctrl+Space (this resets all character formatting

that of the style), and then Ctrl+Q (this resets all paragraph formatting
to that of the style).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"pasdetrois" wrote in message
I'm trying to apply simple custom styles to a doc. Success in the first
couple paragraphs. But then in a new paragraph when I apply the style,
using
the Format Painter, the font comes up different (Garamond instead of

TNR).
The correct style name shows in the "AA" area, but the in the tool bar
area
next to it, it says Garamond. I went into Modify Style and it shows the
correct format that I want. So where did Garamond come from?

I did not select Automatically Update when I created the style. The
content
was pasted in from another doc, but it was not Garamond.

I've been reading various tutorials and I wonder if this is based on the
style parent/child and cascading style sheets effect. Should I re-create
the
styles using No Style? How do you absolute prevent a style from

changing,
unless you manually tell it to? (I know that you can do something to
prevent
other users from changing the style, but I don't think that's the intent
I'm
after.)

I'm using Word 2003.