Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NRP NRP is offline

Default Word 2003 as Data Source: Using Word Doc Form Fields as Data Sourc

I am trying to set up some rudimentary document automation using Word 2003's
mail merge feature.

What I would like to do is create a basic client information file in a Word
2003 document based on a template. The document would contain fields (client
name and contact info).

I would then like to be able to reuse that data in later documents, such as
letters, legal documents, etc.

The problem that I'm running into is this: I want the client data source to
be "user friendly" and easy to generate (i.e. a Word template). Creating a
mdb file that is accessible and editable through the Word mail merge wizard
is a bit clunky (it takes multiple clicks to get there, and then the
interface is not user-friendly, plus it is designed for merging multiple
entries, when I only plan to merge one record at a time). Using Excel as a
data source doesn't make much sense for me, either: it's more amenable to
multiple-entry lists, too, yet I only will have one entry at a time.

The upshot of my question is: Is it possible to set up a mail merge where
the Main Document pulls data from form fields in another Word document?

Thanks!

Nathan Piwowarski