Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default How to merge 2 columns into one?

I didn't think about that method. You'd still need to find/replace the
paragraph marks and if the cells had paragraph marks it could be more
involved, but if someone needs to retain the table formatting this would be
a better solution than using Excel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unfortunately, recent versions of Word are quite dense about merging
columns. One way you can do it without merging rows as well is using the
Eraser tool on the Tables and Borders toolbar. It takes a little practice
(and liberal use of Undo) to get it just right, but when you "erase" the
column boundary, the cells will be merged and the rows preserved.

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:24:56 -0500, "Beth Melton"
wrote:

For what you want it would be a matter of placing the columns in the
order
you want the data to appear and then merging the cells you want to
concatenate.

That's what I tried first, but it appears that I have to do one row at
a time.

I tried selecting the 2 columns in 5-6 rows, then clicking on merge
cells. What I got was one huge cell with all 10-12 cells in one.

Seems like Microsoft could have easily implemented an option to allow
me to select how the merge would be done. (sigh)

How fast you can do it in Word, as opposed to doing it in
Excel, depends on the number of rows you have in the table. In Word you'd
need to select each set of cells and merge them. It's not hard but could
involve a lot of repetitive work: Select, merge cells, select, press F4
repeat your last action (merge cells), select, press F4, you get the
idea.
;-) Then once you're finished merging the cells you'd need to
Find/Replace
all Paragraph marks in the merged column as well since a paragraph will
be
placed between the data that was merged. If you have paragraph marks you
want to keep then it becomes a little more involved.

I suspect you're working with a large amount of data based on your
example
so the Excel route would be the fastest -- it doesn't matter how much
data
you are working with the entire process would take under five minutes.
(Plus
I suspect if if were a small amount of data you wouldn't be asking. g)

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Three Lefts" wrote in message

Just out of curiosity, what sort of contortions would I have to go
through to do it in Word?