Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default what was this?!

"Keep lines together" is on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph
dialog, reached via the dialog launcher (small arrow in the bottom right
corner) in the Paragraph group on the Home tab. Or it is usually on the
context (right-click) menu.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 6:32 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If Word is treating the text as a single lump, then it could be because it
is formatted as "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" or because it
is
actually a single paragraph (with line breaks rather than paragraph
breaks)
formatted as "Keep lines together." But my point is that you don't create
pages to put text in. You put text in and Word creates the pages. If you
want a different header/footer on the first page, you can enable
"Different
first page" and insert a page break (Ctrl+Enter) temporarily while you are
creating the header/footer content, but you should not leave the page
breaks
in the blank document.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

I did not purposely mark anything as "Keep lines together." but I
finished the document and once completed, all this problem became a
moot point.

You describe an interesting twist to my thought process. I create a
page and then add text, because, my thought process is "take a sheet
of paper, put words on it" as one does when writing. Not, let's "put
down some words, and a page magically appears around it." Maybe my
age is showing. I'm so used to taking blank space and filling it in,
not having the wrapper expand to contain what I pushed into it, just
not intuitive for me. Also, creating the page first, gives me a
little control over that display jumping back and forth, [you
described how this is addressed in Word 2007 in another thread]

Thank you for your help. Where do I check for this "Keep lines
together." formatting?