Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Add a column to the left of an existing document

I would MAKE A COPY of the document before experimenting. You could
maybe use Table | Convert Text to Table, and then you should be able to
use Table | Insert | Columns. You can use Table | Convert Table to Text
to get it back to non-table form.

Format | Columns is not going to do anything for you--it's designed for
newspaper-style columns, not data charts.

RScotti wrote:
Hi,
I have a document set up which is a phone list with about 160 addresses and phone numbers.
I would like to add a column to the left that just says the number of lines I have in the list
Old way
AAA Account #:xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxx-x Used # 1 800-222-4357
AAA Account #:xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxx-x Used # 1 800-222-4357

New way
xx1 AAA Account #:xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxx-x Used # 1 800-222-4357
xx2 AAA Account #:xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxx-x Used # 1 800-222-4357

Can someone please tell me how to do this? When I tried Format columns (presets: one (column)/Left)it didn't work and
also Table/Insert/columns to the left didn't work either.

Please give details. I am not that literate with Word XP (2002)
Any help would really be appreciated.

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.