Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default X of Y Numbering...not a bug question.

Ah, I missed the part about the first two pages not being part of the actual
document. In this case, you need "Page { PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } + 2 }."

"D. Liske" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Thanks for your answer. I was working on a reply to macropod and did not
see yours. I may not have been entirely clear on my problem, so I tried

clarify in my reply to macropod. Please take a look, if you get a chance.
Regards.

David Liske

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the NumPages field for the Y (which is the default),

you
should be getting the total number of pages. As "macropod" says, you'll

need
to insert a section break between pages 2 and 3. The page numbering will

by
default be set to "Continue from previous section," so you'll get 3 on

page
3 without any problem. To omit page numbers on pages 1 and 2, click on

the
"Same as Previous" or "Link to Previous" button on the Header and Footer
toolbar to unlink the header in Section 2 from the header in Section 1
before inserting the page number in Section 2, leaving the Section 1

header
empty.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"D. Liske" wrote in message
I have a document that I am working on that will have two cover pages

from
completely different application. I am trying to place page numbering

fields
( x of y) in a header, and I am starting with page 3 in the X field on

the
true first page of the Word document. I'm having a problem formatting

field (NUMPAGES) to accurately reflect the page counts on for the

entire
finished product. For instance, if I have three typed pages in my

Word
doc,
I would have to have the x of y numbering be 3 of 5, and 4 of 5, and 5

of
5,
respectively, as I have to account for the two cover pages. This is

for a
report narrative template that I am working on, and (total) page

numbers
will
vary in the future.

Unfortunately, I work in an office where multiple versions of Word are

in
use, from 97 on up. I've searched here and looked at the MVP article

on
page
numbering. If it was there, I missed it. Any help or advice would be
appreciated. Regards.

David Liske