Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can Word centre tabs on a colon ":" instead of a decimal point?

It aligns on the first non-digit character other than the thousands
separator (though you might confuse it with the comma in your second
example). This is based on whatever the thousands separator is on a given
system, so yes, it could perhaps give unpredictable results "in
translation."

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
FWIW as far as I can see, when you have a decimal tab, Word aligns on the
first non-digit character, e.g.

5.6
45,6
345:67
2345x6789
12345 67890

will all be aligned on the "5" (though of course the stuff from 6 onwards
will probably not be aligned because the widths of ".",",",":", "x"," "
may differ)

(I guess you need something pretty general to have a reasonably good
chance of dealing with differences in regional settings anyway - what if
you use decimal tabs "1234.56" on a machine set up for US Windows, then
open it on a machine set up with French settings, for example?)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"grammatim" wrote in message
If you always have exactly two digits after the colon, you can simply
use a right tab.

(You can choose the character to align on with the "decimal" tab in
FrameMaker. Maybe someday Word will be able to do that.)

On Nov 24, 11:22 pm, NetPomme
wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would
use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any
ideas?
Thank you.