Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_3_] Chad Harris[_3_] is offline

Default Can't Read Word 2003 docs backed up Vista now using Office 2007 SP1

Having been a very prolific helper on the MSFT XP and particular the Vista
general and Vista setup groups for about 8 years (XP before there was a
Vista and Windows 7 builds) which there are now, I am well aware that
attachments are frowned upon, however if they are used sparsely and
appropriately and are small enough, given the penetration of broadband for a
large number of people although to be sure not all countries and the rate of
using attachments is about 3 in 8 years, I don't think it's inappropriate.
And the glitch was that I got a false error message from ole Winmail which
is part of ole Vista last I checked, that it was rejecting the attached
..jpeg because it was too large and to start with it was not large. I kept
getting the false error message, hence the successive attempts to post a
smaller image. Given the error message repeatedly, I had no idea they were
posting until after the fact.

I usually go to the Word group to get help although infrequently and it is
always excellent. On occassion I have given help on the Word groups, Office
groups, and Outlook groups back in the day.

Thanks,

CH

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The attachments suggest (attachments are seriously frowned upon) that you
are trying to open a zip file with Word. You need to extract the files
from the zip before opening them.

Chad Harris wrote:
Graham--Reason for the multiple answers is that Win Mail kept putting
up the false error message that it didn't send the message because
the image was too large when it sent it every time (and the image was
never large). Welcome to Win Mail and the NNTP news reader. Welcome
to false Wiudows error messages.

CH

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you copy the files from your disc to the hard drive and remove
the read only flag from their properties, will they now open?

Chad Harris wrote:
Before I had Office 2007, I was using Vista (actually since it's
Beta began, and I backed up what I think were my Word 2003
documents to DVD. I'm not sure if I can determine what version of
Word was used but they should have been Word 2003 before any Betas
of 2007 were available.
I'm using Vista SP1 and Office 2007 SP1 on this box currently and
both have every available update to date.

Now when I go to open up, the backed up docs they show up in
gibberish. I searched the MSKBs, Word Help on the MSFT sites, etc.
and I downloaded the latest version of the MSFT Office Word Viewer.
It doesn't help.
I downloaded the "Compatibility Pack" and it did nothing. That'd be
this guy:

For more information about the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack,
and to download the Compatibility Pack, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-c6bb74cd1466

I don't believe the documents are corrupted at all. I think there
is something that has to do with XML or the word formatting mismatch
that MSFT has engineered between Word 2003 and Word 2007.

I would appreciate any help at all.

I don't think this is my problem: discussed in this MSKB

How to use earlier versions of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open
and save files from 2007 Office programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

because I have the latest version of Word.

I'm not getting any particular error message and when I saved the
docs, whether I used Word 2003 or Word 2007 I had all the latest
updates.
Thanks much,

CH