Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sue p

Default Style templates and master documents

I have a large document that requires specific styling, etc. I therefore
created it as a master and subdocuments with its own style template. Trouble
is that every time I open it some of the headings have changed style and I
have to use the styles organiser to re-copy the styles from the appropriate
template over the document ones. Then the headings become properly formatted.
However, I keep finding headings and lists, etc that have lost their
formatting. These text sections are still labelled with the appropriate
style, but it has to be re-applied before the format appears correct.
I am using Word 2000 on XP machines, although the problem may have first
started to occur when I transferred the document (and template) onto a
machine using Word 2003. (I had to reapply all the styles from about a third
of the way in - it's a large document and I was very unhappy!)