Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Default Doc properties - Word & Excel 2007 Beta

Also, Info Path crashes every time I attempt to bring up a template.
When it crashes, do you send the crash report to MS?

Reinstalling, repairing etc has no effect. Perhaps I'm missing something in
the works such as .NET frame work 1 or 2 (which I have) or something along
that nature. I can't find anything in the requirements on the MS Office site.
In fact I can't seem to find much about it at all as far as Release Notes are
concerned unlike IE 7.0 for example.

AFAIK, the .net framework is not a requirement for Office 2007. It
shouldn't need anything beyond what ships in the package...

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

Any clue you might come across, please let me know.

Thanks

--
Kirk M.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

Hmm, really weird. Was this for a document that had already been saved?
If yes, was it a 97-2003 document or a 2007 one? Does this happen for
all your documents or just a specific one?
Have you tried switching off your anti-virus scanner just to see what
happens then?

Thanks,

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Old Beta Tester" wrote in
message :

Hi Patrick, Bob,

Appreciate your help.

I installed Info Path as well as the rest of the suite (what the heck, I
have till February) and this is what I noticed.

Initially the properties panel took a very long time to appear every time.
Now after the new installation(s) the first time I access the panel it still
creeps (5-7 seconds to appear), after that it is nearly instantaneous.
However, any operation conducted within the panel is still dead slow w/ a
delay of 3-4 seconds for any operation to take place once executed IE:
setting a cursor position, switching fields, back spacing, deleting etc. The
one exception is that typing is immediate.

I got curious and opened up task manager. Here's what I found in a nutshell
using Word in the test. I don't really believe that Excel would show any
different but I'll check later:

Opening Properties panel first time:

-Open Word. Let it "settle": CPU-0% MEM-21-25megs

-Load a document: CPU-quickly spikes and drops to 0% MEM-34-36megs

-Open Properties Panel: CPU-99% and stays there MEM-68-72megs
Note: Operations within the document are still fairly quick.

-Close Panel: CPU oscillates between approx. 35-58% Mem approx @ 68megs

On the second try the panel instantly appears and CPU runs between approx
58-70% but the delayed reactions still exist as I stated before. Memory usage
still around 68% (it won't "give it up"). Closing Word and and re-opening it
again resets everything back to "normal as in the beginning of the test.
Closing Word leaves nothing "left over" according to the Task Manager.

NOTE: Typing and standard operations within the document barely increase CPU
usage at all. Before trying to open the Properties panel, typing, right
-clicking, etc barely nudge the CPU off of 0% This seems indicative of a
large memory leak within a fairly small module of a much larger program.

Hope this info helps