If this is the problem, a better solution is to install the printer driver
for the network printer locally.

"Wyatt" wrote in message
Try changing your default printer to "Microsoft Document Image Writer" or

one
of the other printers that is installed that writes a file rather than
communicating with an actual printer.

I believe that Word is trying to connect to your printer every time you

open
a document. This process takes some time, and therefore you experience a

lag
time when opening a word document.

Please let me know if this works as I have not tested this theory on any
additional machines. This problem seems to only exist with Office 2003.

Wyatt

"Martin" wrote:

If I open a word doc the time to open the file is at
least 45 seconds. Is there any way to speed this up? I am
using Office 2003

Many thanks
Martin