Jackie D

I am sure I applied the new style to the text. But I do have some more
information that could be relevant:

Each time I open this particular template, it has my 'Style 1' showing in
the window at the top of the page. When I try to select Heading 1 (or any
other heading for that matter), it stubbornly refuses to change and I get the
dialogue box asking me if I want to update the style or reapply the
formatting. Surely I should be able to choose another style without this
happening?
--

Many thanks
JD

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Have you applied the new style to the text? It can be confusing, but just
creating the new style doesn't automatically apply it to the selected text.

On the other hand, if you change the *name* of the style then everything
called oldname will become newname. This doesn't apply to built-in styles
(like Heading 5) because you can't change the name .

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie D" wrote in message
When I change a style in Word 2003 from, say, Heading to Subtitle, why
does
it still call it by it's old style name in the 'formatting of selected
text'
in the Styles & Formatting pane?

For example, I have a heading that is formatted with 'Heading 5'. I create
new style by using 'Title' in the styles list, which I then customized.
But
when I click on and off the text, I would expect it to say 'Title' for the
name of the formatted text but it still says Heading 5. It's very
confusing.
Can anyone help?
--

Many thanks