Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Simplifying finding cross-refs: adding descriptive text at end of NOTEREF field harmless or not?

1. I agree with Jonathan's analysis

2. I'm not sure this is workable either, but you could consider adding a {
SET } next to each { NOTEREF } e.g.

{ SET COMMENT "some text" }
or perhaps
{ SET C some text }

If you have a large number of NOTEREFs, that would obviously result in a
substantial number of extra fields which might affect performance, but
perhaps worth a try.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"DSC" wrote in message
I need a convenient way to be able to find specific cross-references in a
large document (and to know what they are without having to follow the
link), but the most obvious way of searching the field codes (when in
displayed instead of field results) is meaningless with cross-references
unlike with bookmarks (e.g. NOTEREF _Ref203031962 etc.). The solution that
I found is that I could add descriptive text to the end of the field code
with no apparent harm done in a small test case. I was wondering if I
adopted this on the scale of my large document whether I would eventually
introduce some sort instability, unreliability, or other types of problems?
Or is there some other solution?

DSC