Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Mail Merge Labels in Word 2007 Default double spacing

On the Home tab of the ribbon right Click 'Normal' style.
Select Modify from the drop down menu.
Check the New Documents based on this template radio button.
Click Format Paragraph
Change space after from 10pt to 0
Change line spacing from Multiple 1.15 to Single
Click OK - OK

Check Word Options Advanced Save Prompt before saving normal template

When you close Word you will get a prompt to save the normal template. Save
it!

-

Bons wrote:
WOW---for some reason I am really dense on this one....I just messed
around with EVERTYHING I could see to do and cannot get it to
hold.....I'm usually able to figure these things out with just a bit
of instruction...but this one has me stymied....I guess I'll just go
back to the old way I first discovered...highlight everything in the
first label and change the paragraph style to all zeroes, which then
governs the rest of the labels. It's not as simple as it should be,
but at least it gets the job done. I'll NEVER understand why they
did this to us in the first place! But I truly DO appreciate you
trying to help me on this.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It is not the normal template that I mentioned, but the normal
paragraph STYLE. If you replace the normal template the original
normal style, c/w extra line spacing, will be restored. You need to
edit the normal STYLE in the normal template to remove the spacing
from its paragraph attribute.

Bons wrote:
Thanks, Graham....unfortunately, I've tried that....replacing the
normal document....and it holds for the rest of Word, but for some
reason it doesn't hold for the labels....keeps defaulting back to
the
1.5 spacing. I can't for the life of me figure out why a programmer
would set 1.5 as the default in the first place....but will keep
working to try to work around it. I really appreciate you
responding to this query.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Labels, by default use the normal paragraph style, which in Word
2007 includes 1.5 line space.
For my installation I edited the normal style to have no line space
and replaced the No spacing style with a Normal spaced style to
maintain compatibility.

Bons wrote:
About a year ago there was a very long string of emails regarding
this issue....and they didn't really give a good fix. Am hoping
that by now someone has figured out a satisfactory solution.....
The default for Labels is that rascal 5.55 spacing before
paragraph ....and there doesn't seem to be a way of getting that
to just go Away!!

I know how to use a label template and have been doing so for a
long time, just as a time saver. However, I teach computer
software to realtors and a lot of them are not totally 'puter
savvy and just want the simplest way possible to accomplish
something. And using a single template is not a viable solution,
as the data bases do not all have the same fields.

With the new default for Mail Merge in Word '07 it is very
cumbersome for them to do the merges....It used to be so EASY!!!
WHY oh why did they have to screw this up? I have tried
everything I can think of to make the single space hold, but to
no avail. I have gone up to Page Layout and made all the
spacings zero and told it to set as Default....I've gone into the
Normal and Modified the normal and told it New Documents Based on
this Template.....etc etc. Has ANYONE come up with a SIMPLE fix
for this yet? I'm hoping that since a whole year has gone by
maybe MSN has come up with a correction for this. I figure if
there is anyone anywhere who knows the answer, it's going to be
here.......This is the BEST place to learn I've ever seen. Thanks
for any help you can give on this.