Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Mail Merge Labels in Word 2007 Default double spacing

If you do not want the Name/Address/ City, State, Zip lines on a label to be
in separate paragraphs, the do not terminate each line by using the Enter
key. That creates a new paragraph (or its equivalent) no matter what
software you are using, so it is not a matter of Word misjudging.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bons" wrote in message
news
I (and a LOT of other people) would rather have control over determining
what
is and what is NOT a paragraph.....Word misjudges that all too often and
it's
too cumbersome to correct. I'd much rather hit Enter twice when I WANT it
happen rather than spending hours trying to figure out how to stop it.
For
instance the Name/Address/ City, State, Zip lines on a label are NOT new
paragraphs.

But thanks for the input anyway.....it's always interesting to see what
the
thought process was for making a determination like this.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

It being customary for a space to appear between separate paragraphs in a
document, the programmers are trying to drag people into the computer age
and stop them from pressing enter twice to get that space. That's what
was
required in the days of typewriters and before too much longer, there
will
be no one left who has ever used a typewriter.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bons" wrote in message
Thanks! I still don't understand why they did it to us, but I truly do
appreciate your response. I try to make things as simple as I can for
my
students....they're all over the place level-wise and some will be able
remember the Shift/Enter and some will absolutely not. Maybe in a later
incarnation the programmers will correct this situation for us. Thanks
again
for your time!!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Just use Shift+Enter (rather than Enter) between the lines of text on
the
label.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bons" wrote in message
About a year ago there was a very long string of emails regarding
this
issue....and they didn't really give a good fix. Am hoping that by
now
someone has figured out a satisfactory solution..... The default
for
Labels
is that rascal 5.55 spacing before paragraph ....and there doesn't
seem
be
a way of getting that to just go Away!!

I know how to use a label template and have been doing so for a long
time,
just as a time saver. However, I teach computer software to
realtors
and
lot of them are not totally 'puter savvy and just want the simplest
way
possible to accomplish something. And using a single template is
not a
viable solution, as the data bases do not all have the same fields.

With the new default for Mail Merge in Word '07 it is very
cumbersome
for
them to do the merges....It used to be so EASY!!! WHY oh why did
they
have
to screw this up? I have tried everything I can think of to make
the
single
space hold, but to no avail. I have gone up to Page Layout and made
all
the
spacings zero and told it to set as Default....I've gone into the
Normal
and
Modified the normal and told it New Documents Based on this
Template.....etc
etc. Has ANYONE come up with a SIMPLE fix for this yet? I'm hoping
that
since a whole year has gone by maybe MSN has come up with a
correction
for
this. I figure if there is anyone anywhere who knows the answer,
it's
going
to be here.......This is the BEST place to learn I've ever seen.
Thanks
for
any help you can give on this.